Chimney Sweep In Knoxville – Reduce Your Fire Risk By Keeping Your Chimney Clean
A large percentage of the chimney fires that occur each year here in the United States are preventable. That’s why chimney sweepings made it onto the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s FireSafety Checklist:
Safety statement: “The chimney and stovepipe are checked frequently during the heating season for creosote buildup and are cleaned when necessary.”
Sweepings are also recommended by the National Fire Protection Association and the Chimney Safety Institute of America:
“Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs shall be done if necessary.” (NFPA standard 211)
But how do you know when you need to have your chimney swept, and what can you expect?
Here’s a quick guide…
When Do You Need To Have Your Chimney Cleaned?
Your chimney should be swept whenever there is a measurable amount of creosote or soot buildup. For most homeowners who use their wood-burning fireplaces often during the fall and winter seasons, the chimney will need to be cleaned once a year. But if you don’t use yours often, you may be able to go longer between cleanings.
The best way to know when it’s time for a sweeping is to schedule annual inspections. We’ll look inside your fireplace and flue and let you know if there’s measurable buildup or if you’re good to go for another burn season.
What’s A Chimney Cleaning Like? Is It Messy?
We won’t speak for all chimney companies. Some companies might be very messy during a chimney sweeping — but not Ashbusters Chimney Service of Knoxville. We follow a very specific process to ensure our clients’ chimneys get thoroughly cleaned, without a mess, and that any issues or concerns are identified for the homeowner.
- We start by covering our shoes with booties to prevent tracking anything into your home.
- Next, we lay out tarps on the carpet or flooring in front of the fireplace. This will protect your flooring throughout the cleaning process, but it’s also where we’ll lay out our tools.
- We clean the damper and make sure it’s working correctly and that it’s free of rust and damage.
- We use brushes and rods to remove any soot, creosote, or obstructions from the flue. To ensure that all dust and soot is safely contained and removed from the chimney and the home, we use a powerful high speed HEPA filtered vacuum.
- We use a camera to look up into the chimney flue to make sure we’ve gotten all soot and creosote out of the chimney system.
- We then perform a visual inspection of the chimney exterior, checking for masonry damage, chimney leaks, crown or chase cover damage, and flashing issues. We also check to make sure the chimney cap is properly fitted and in good condition.
- Once we’re done, we’ll provide you with a written report on your chimney’s condition and any damage or concerns we may have found during the cleaning and inspection process.
No mess guarantee — is it possible? With Ashbusters Chimney Service of Knoxville, it is.
CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep, Tim Kneller
Need A Sweeping? Call Knoxville’s Full-Service Chimney Experts
What about your chimney? Is it dirty and in need of a good cleaning? Give us a call at 865-470-6117 and let our team take care of it for you. We’ll make sure everything’s clean and ready for another year of roaring, comforting fires.